2022 SUMMER MATH AND READING INFORMATION
Please see below and to the right of this page for information and links to the NPS Math and Summer Reading Resources - created by the NPS Math and Literacy Specialists and School Librarians
Summer MATH Plan
The following Summer Math plan is being offered as an opportunity for students to review math concepts and skills students have completed during the school year. It is important to keep up with these skills over the summer. The suggested goal is for students to complete 3-5 activities a week. At the end of summer, please sign the math log and return it to your child’s next year’s teacher during the first week of school. Participation is a great way to help your child prepare for the following school year!
Available math resources and activities (grade level indicated is one your child just completed):
- Activities that support Conceptual Skills Practice grades K-5: A math Bitmoji classroom has been created for each grade level that will provide a wide range of summer math activities. Activities can be repeated as often as you want. Once an activity has been completed, students will record it on the Summer Math Log. The math activities and math logs can be accessed on the right hand side of this webpage.
- Activities that support Math Fact Fluency Practice grades K and 1: Students who completed grades K and 1 will have the option to complete a fluency packet and return the fact practice portion to their new teacher in the fall. The time spent on the fact practice may also be logged on the Summer Math Log. Printable fluency packets are available on this website. If you do not have access to a printer, please email Victoria Saldana at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reflex Math for Math Fact Fluency Practice grades 1-5- Students will be able to access their Reflex Math accounts until August 30th. Reflex is a great way for your child to practice their math facts during the summer months. Students have the ability to practice math fluency skills that have been assigned by their teacher during the school year.
Students will have until September 9th to complete the math logs
Happy Mathing from the Math Specialists Team!
Summer READING Plan
Summer is the time for swimming, ice cream, fun in the sun, and ... READING! Families make a big impact in helping keep the love of literacy that is fostered during the school year alive during the summer. This can be done by setting aside time every day to read to and with your child. Below are resources that will support your child in keeping up their reading skills throughout the summer:
- Explore new titles together. Suggested lists of summer reading books as well as tips on how to make summer reading a success can be found in the HOD and FK School Library websites (see links to the right).
- Keep a reading log:
- HOD - Students will tally the number of times they read each month on the form provided and share their favorite book with classmates when they return to school in the fall.
- FK- In June, during their library class, students were asked to select 5 books that they were interested in reading over the summer. Students listed the titles of the books in their Summer Reading List that was sent home. Over the summer, students are asked to read and rate the books. They may add to their list as the summer progresses. Students are asked to return their reading logs to school where they will have an opportunity to recommend their favorite book during library class in the fall.
- Students will have until September 9th to complete the reading logs (see link below).
- Norfolk Public Schools and the Norfolk Public Library read together! Check out the Norfolk Public Library website for their summer reading program.
Happy Summer!! Happy Reading!!