SUMMER MATH & READING 2021
Summer MATH Program 2021
The Summer Math Program is being offered as an opportunity for students to review math concepts and skills students have completed during the school year. It is important to keep up these skills over the summer. This program will be made up of two components.
- Conceptual Practice! A math bitmoji classroom has been created for each grade level that will provide a wide range of summer math activities. Activities can be repeated as often as you want. Once an activity has been completed, students will record it on the Summer Math Log. The math activities and log can be accessed through the Norfolk Public Schools Summer Reading and Math tab (see link above).
- Fluency Challenge! Students can participate in a district wide math fact fluency contest.
- Students entering grades 1 and 2 will receive a fluency packet during their last week of school and return the fact practice portion to their new teacher in the fall. The time spent on the fact practice may also be logged on the Summer Math Log.
- Students entering grades 3-6 will participate in The Reflex Green Light Challenge. The challenge is to get a green light when practicing math facts at least 20 times during the summer. Each time a student gets a green light, that success is recorded on the Summer Math Log.
Every student who gets at least 20 green lights in grades 3-6 and every incoming grade 1 and 2 student who hands in a completed fact practice packet will receive a prize. The class in each grade with the most overall participation will also get a donut party in September!!! The suggested goal is for students to complete 3-5 activities a week. At the end of summer, please sign the math log and return it to your child’s next year’s teacher during the first week of school. Participating in this program is a great way to help your child prepare for the following school year!
Summer READING Program 2021
Summer is the time for swimming, ice cream, fun in the sun, and ... READING! Families, please help keep the love of literacy we foster during the school year alive during the summer by setting aside time every day to read to and with your child.
- In the HOD and FK Library websites, you will find the summer reading book lists as well as tips on how to make summer reading a success.
- HOD - Students will tally the number of times they read each month on the form provided and share their favorite book with classmates when they return to school in the fall.
- FK- During their library class, students selected 5 books that interest them to read over the summer. They wrote the titles of the books in their Summer Reading List. Students will read and rate the books. They may add to their list as the summer progresses. Once they return to school, they will have an opportunity to recommend their favorite book during library class in the fall.
- Check out Norfolk Public Library websites for their summer reading program.
Students will have until September 7th to complete the summer reading and math logs.
Wishing you a Summer!! Happy Reading and Happy Mathing
From the Math and Literacy Specialists and HOD and FK School Librarians